Sunday 18 May 2008

Indietracks interview #9: Darren Hayman

It's been a manic old year for Darren Hayman - he's just released an album with his new bluegrass outfit Hayman, Trout, Watkins and Lee, he's been playing dozens of gigs across the country with the Secondary Modern and - if that wasn't enough - he's just reunited with Jack from former band Hefner and is planning to put on a series of Hefner songfest gigs over the summer - wow! He's obviously a very busy chappie, but we managed to catch up with him to find out what he's been up to recently, and his plans for Indietracks....

Hi Darren. How do you feel about music at the moment and the new crop of indiepop bands? Do you have any particular favourites?

I recently bought the new Breeders album, although thats not new is it? I like the Wave Pictures, but I guess they're friends so I don't know if that counts! I like Esiotrot, they're new

Does you feel as though you have inspired a new generation of bands? And does it feel any different performing solo/ with a new band, than it did with Hefner?

It's nice when bands say they liked Hefner. Its not something I expected. Gratitude and respect only go so far though, I really need these young pups to cover some Hefner songs and get some chart action, its their money I'm really afterYep, it feels different. I don't have my gang anymore - I look behind me and they're not there.

Tell us a bit more about how the reunion with Jack came about...

I wanted Jack to play on an album I'm making at the moment. The decision was more about new stuff, but we thought it was a chance to do a couple of special shows for some people. It may even signal less Hefner songs in my solo sets for a while. Me and Jack are always going to be more interested in doing something new.

Indietracks is on a steam railway - tell us about any unusual places you have played in the past..

Somebody arranged an odd tour for me and the Wave Pictures last year where we played Spanish universities in the afternoons. There were no light shows - just overhead projectors.

What are your plans for the rest of the year?

It would be great to be able to release Pram Town (my proper new album) and the re-issue of We Love the City, but its hard when you do everything yourself.

What's going to be on your compilation tapes as you travel down to Indietracks?

I have a compilation of Ry Cooder that Dave T from the Wave Pictures made for me. I think its the only compilation I've got in the car, so that one.

What attracted you to playing Indietracks again?

The small tin-roofed church!

Is there anyone in particular you're looking forward to seeing play, and why?

The Wedding Present. I saw them loads of times ten years ago but have really lost touch with them and their records. I'm looking forward to getting reacquainted.

Thanks Darren, look forward to catching you at Indietracks!

Next up: The Rosie Taylor Project talk to us about supporting Jens Lekman in a secluded church and why they're looking forward to mixing rail transport and music!

No comments:

Post a Comment